Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog or dogs may have consumed as much as ten 0.5mg

Customer Question
Ativans. Got an entire bottle...
My dog or dogs may have consumed as much as ten 0.5mg Ativans. Got an entire bottle and chewed it up. Dog most likely is small (maybe 10 pounds) and this just happened
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/18/2016
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

The treatment dosage for a 10# ***** is 2mg. Obviously having consumed as much as 5mg of Ativan is too much. Fortunately, this medication seems well tolerated when an overdose occurs. There is still reason to seek out overnight care at the ER. There is a risk of drunken walking, coma and death, with larger dosages thus the recommendation to have the dog or dogs examined overnight at the ER.

Failing this, be on the lookout for lethargy, hyperactivity, drunken walking and vomiting.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian