Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have an 8 yr old male Lab (AKC). Sister developed rapid

Customer Question

I have an 8 yr old male Lab (AKC). Sister developed rapid onset glaucoma in both eyes at age 4, which resulted in blindness and enucleation. This fall, his mother developed the same condition at age 10, with same result. I had my dog checked yesterday, and eye vet said IOC was normal and nerves/blood vessels were "beautiful." Recommendation was IOP screening x3-4 most I spoke to sister's owner, whose vet says goniodysgenesis is likely present in litter. Prescribed Demecarium prophylactically for another sister from different litter. Looking for advice.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jack, 8 yrs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Jack?
Customer: Has always been in good health, with excellent vision. Only issue is that Jack has had epileptic seizures in last year. Vet recommended no treatment after evaluation.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Just to clarify IOP, not IOC. Demecarium was prescribed for sister.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr Gary. I've been practicing veterinary medicine since 2007. I look forward to helping with your questions/ concerns.

I'm working on an answer for you. This will take a few minutes.

I don't have a problem with either of these vets. If we don't have a confirmed diagnosis of goniodysgenesis, then the periodic IOP checks would be the way to go. Once it starts elevating, then treatment with Cosopt drops can help lower the pressures.

Ideally I would have an ophthalmologist examine all of these dogs in the line and see if they confirm the diagnosis of goniodysgenesis. Once that has been diagnosed, preventative measures with Demecarium, latanoprost or Dorzolamide can potentially help. The information is not concrete, but some studies have shown a delay in time before glaucoma develops. Other studies have shown no change in development of glaucoma. It won't hurt anything, though.

Ultimately, glaucoma is typically an acute disease process in dogs and many times it's hard to catch until they have a rapid spike in IOP and clinical signs develop. When that happens, rapid diagnosis and potentially surgery to help drain the eye is the best option to preserve vision. Having a relationship with an ophthalmologist now is ideal so that getting in is easier if or when this develops.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What have you found?

I'm at work so I can't take calls right now- I'm sorry.

You can continue correspondence here and I'll answer in between cases that I'm seeing.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks. How is goniodysgenesis diagnosed? We don't have that diagnosis for Jack, just for his sisters.

Goniodysgenesis is diagnosed with gonioscopy. A specialized lens is used to look at the drainage angle between the cornea and iris. This is why an ophthalmologist is needed. General practice vets don't have this equipment.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Very good. The ophthalmologist yesterday described this, but did not put it into context. Will follow up with him and with regular vet. thanks for your advice.

You're very welcome. Happy to help.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?