Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

He won't stop licking the sofa. It's made of micro fiber and

Customer Question

He won't stop licking the sofa. It's made of micro fiber and he's licked a hole in the material.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Not concerned with Russell's digestion. He's done it before with no negative after effects. He's a 4 year old mixed breed.
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Russell?
Customer: He's very bright and hasn't displayed any other weird behaviors.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 11 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this behavior with Russell. How long has he been doing this licking of that sofa? Is he otherwise eating and drinking normally? Is he licking himself at other times, say when he's not on that couch?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Everything else is normal. He is licking himself.

Do you feel that he's licking himself when he's in other areas of the house? The reason I ask this is that some will be licking themselves and also get what they are on. What breed is he? Does he have any areas of hair loss on him? What areas are he licking on himself?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He just got over a digestive problem. We had to change his diet. He was licking the sofa prior to that though. No hair loss. He's licking his genitals and his paws. Russell is a mixed breed. I think mostly hound.

Ok. The questioning line that I'm going for is trying to figure out if he's licking himself due to allergies. Dogs that have allergies to either something in their environment or to something in their food will lick their paws a lot. So, is he licking due to allergies? Is he licking as he likes the feel of that surface? If he was specifically licking that surface, I wouldn't think that he'd be licking the generals or paws as he could just get to the material without getting these areas too. So, could this be allergies? I'm curious as to if that is the case.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have no clue what he could be allergic to. How do we find out?

Most of the time allergies are due to something in the environment - this is called atopy. Finding out specifically what they are allergic to requires dermal testing. This is something that most of the time isn't done unless they aren't responding to initial therapy. A lot of times, a trial of allergy medication is started up to see what the response is. Here is a great link on atopy.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=597