Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I got home today and noticed there were a couple of maggots

Customer Question

Hi I got home today and noticed there were a couple of maggots in the bottom of my dogs dish, when I went to give her some fresh food. I always give her fresh food daily. But she hadn't eaten for around 24 hours. So I threw out the stuff from the day before and noticed a couple of maggots. She has not been sick...yyet. I was just checking what might happen. Thank you
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Daisy 15 1/2
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about daisy?
Customer: She is on anti-inflammatories for rear leg paralysis
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 10 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Maggots are not toxic to dogs, but might indicate issues with the food. It's also possible that it sat out long enough to draw flies.

What type of food are you feeding currently?

Does she have any interest in food today?

Any vomiting?

When did the NSAIDs begin for the rear leg issue? Which NSAID is being used?