Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She got into my suitcase and ate about 18 oz of fudge. She

Customer Question
She got into my suitcase...
She got into my suitcase and ate about 18 oz of fudge. She weight 20 lbs and has eliminated most of it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Stella and weights 20 lbs
JA: How old is Stella?
Customer: 14 months
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Stella?
Customer: That her mother made a bad mistake! She is drinking a lot now.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/17/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 1 year ago
Drhollowayvet

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your pet Stella ingested a large amount of fudge. This amount sounds like it could be toxic but give me a few moments to calculate this. I will be back momentarily with further instructions on how to care for Stella.

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 1 year ago

This is a severe amount of chocolate ingestion for a pet this size. I highly recommend taking Stella to your local ER vet right away. This level of chocolate ingestion can cause death and is considered extremely toxic.

I understand that she may have vomited up most of it, but during vomiting only 60% of the stomach contents at most are brought back up, so there could still be a considerable amount still in her stomach and she requires additional treatment (i.e. activated charcoal +/- fluid therapy and supportive care). Symptoms of chocolate intoxication can take several hours to develop and can last for up to 12-24 hrs. I really hope that Stella will be ok.

- Dr. H

Dog Veterinarian: Drhollowayvet,
 replied 1 year ago

Hello again I am checking back in with you and Stella. I sure hope that you got her medical treatment and wanted to know how she was doing. Feel free to update me on her status at your convenience. Thank you.

- Dr. H

Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet
Drhollowayvet