Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

My French Bulldog should be 35 days in whelp a scan at 31…

My French Bulldog should...

My French Bulldog should be 35 days in whelp a scan at 31 days showed no puppies, but she is acting like she is in whelp, today she seems very lethargic, although she ate her dinner just fine, and going out to potty just fine. I am concerned that if she is not pregnant she may have a closed pyometra, I haven't seen any discharge apart from a white mucus this morning, but have seen that before in bitches in whelp. She is a little more rounded behind the ribs, but hasn't dropped any, she has had one successful litter. She seems awfully depressed!

Veterinarian's Assistant: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if should will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about should?

No, only that the scan showed a little thickening in the uterine wall, the vet was not concerned this was done last friday

11/16/2016
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

If the scan revealed nothing that concerned her vet, your Frenchie doesn't suffer from pyometra but, instead, pseudocyesis (false pregnancy, pseudopregnancy). Chief complaints of pseudocyesis include depression or anxiety, anorexia, and excess vocalization (whining). Mammary problems (engorgement, lactation, licking of the glands) and abnormalities associated with aberrant maternal behavior (nesting, digging, adoption of animals or objects) are also seen. Pseudocyesis typically resolves spontaneously within 2-3 weeks from its onset but can occasionally persist until the next estrous cycle.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She's not whining, and she is not anorexic, but is sleeping a lot this afternoon, very unlike her, as I said she ate very well as she always does, The only thing my vet was concerned about was a little fluid and thickening, I had something similar happen a long time ago, when a bitch I took for a scan had two puppies "up in the ribs" as it were, is that a possibility again, she showed no puppies on her first scan. But I will be happy if it's not a closed pyo! The discharge was white and milky, only happened the one time, and I have had in whelp bitches discharge before.

I can't imagine your vet performing an ultrasound and not visualizing the entire uterus. A small amount of fluid and thickening is consistent with the endometrial hyperplasia of a uterus under the influence of progesterone as seen with pregnancy and pseudopregnancy. Most important, she's eating well and not drinking like a fish as would be seen with a closed pyometra. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, that's fine, there isn't anything else to tell you. And you have been a great help, she's not drinking like a fish...I might have to though!!

!!!! You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you, ***** ***** how many years I have done this..an opinion is everything, and shame on me for not thinking about a pseudo pregnancy! I will get her re scanned at 43 days if she still continues to "grow" I will have an x ray around 55 days at least there are skeletons then, can't be too careful with Frenchies!

Sounds good. Keep me posted, please. Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?