Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is pooping puddles of blood, i took him to the vet

Customer Question
my dog is pooping puddles...
my dog is pooping puddles of blood , i took him to the vet early today and they said it was a bacterial intestine infection but that it should go away with the two pills they perscribe to me for him .. his attitudes fine , he's a happy dog like he always is .. and i don't notice any worms in his stool .. he has an exam two weeks ago and they said everything was fine.. what do i do ?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: toby and he's 4
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about toby?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/16/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern about Toby. I do have a few additional questions to ask about him first if you don't mind:

1. Just to confirm, he's not vomiting nor actin ill in any other way?

2. Can you tell me the drugs which he's supposed to be taking?

3. I'd like to confirm the dosage amounts so can you tell me how much he weighs and the milligram size of the medication?

Thanks, Deb

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no hes not vomiting or acting in any other way .. he's perfectly fine due to his way of acting . the drugs they prescribed was metronidazole 250 mg tab but was told to give him 1/2 a tab and 1/2 a tab of diphenoxylate 2.5 mg twice a day .. he weighs 14.0 Ib

Thanks for the additional information and answers to my questions. That's great that he's not otherwise acting ill.

Blood can always be concerning but unless there's a constant profuse amount of it, then it usually is secondary to intestinal irritation and nothing more serious than this. When large amounts are present, though, HGE (Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis) is a concern and can be quite serious and requires hospitalization in most cases....although these patients are usually acting ill.

Metronidazole is an excellent drug for this situation and one I would have prescribed; the dose is about what I would have used as well.

And, while I haven't used Diphenoxylate for quite a while for my diarrhea patients, this is about the dose that I'd have suggested as well.

There are actually a number of different causes for diarrhea/blood in a dog which range from viral/bacterial infections to internal parasites to dietary indiscretion to Inflammatory Bowel Disease just to name a few examples.

Regardless of the cause, I assume your vet also recommended a bland diet such as boiled, skinless, boneless chicken breast and 20-minute white rice, several times during the day.

I also suggest a probiotic such as Forti Flora which may help to heal the intestines a little faster. This product is often available at local pet or grain stores.

As long as Toby isn't getting worse, then I'd give the drugs a few days to be effective; however, if he becomes lethargic and/or starts to vomit, then a recheck may be prudent.

I hope this helps. Deb

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian replied 12 months ago

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Toby. How are things going with him? Deb

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian