Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My pup, I rescued after he was vacc with multiple vacc's at

Customer Question
8 wks, is now 5-6...
My pup, I rescued after he was vacc with multiple vacc's at 8 wks, is now 5-6 months old. He's been on a raw diet with the other 9 dogs here but I mistakenly gave him cup of dry food the other day, he's been throwing up ever since. He's drinking water but will NOT eat anything and throws up frequently. None of the other students, dogs, here are sick and they are all on the same diet.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Yes, I gave him commercial dog food. He's been on a raw diet since I rescued him 2 months ago. I've never given him commercial dog food, only ground up chicken, bones (finely ground), and beef. He got sick after I gave him Taste of The Wild Pacific Stream. I got lazy and went against my own advice and gave commercial food and he's been sick since. How do I settle his tummy?
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about bones?
Customer: No, the past few days have been beef
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/16/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with this little one. What is his name? How long ago did the vomiting start? Has he been to the vet since that 8 week old visit when he got the vaccines then?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
His name is ***** ***** looks like the house elf in the Harry Potter series, and he started throwing up 2 days ago after I fed him commercial dog food. He's been on raw food with the rest of my pack, and school of dogs, since I picked him up 2 months ago. He's 6 months old. No, he has not needed to go to the Vet since I picked him up.

Dobby is a very good name! So he's been vomiting how many times over the last two days? Is he vomiting every couple hours? Is he starting to look pretty dumpy and depressed?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He's been vomiting every 3 - 4 hours. He drinks water but obviously won't eat anything. I just noticed him standing over a bucket of fresh ice water I just put down staring at it. I think he's debating
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He doesn't throw up imediately after drinking, it takes some time.

I'm going to be very honest here and say that my concern here is going strongly towards a parvo virus infection. The change of the food could cause some vomiting for a time or two, but it shouldn't cause that much vomiting over that period of two days. With him only having had one set of vaccines at 8 weeks, his immune system has a great chance of not being properly stimulated to protect him from parvo virus. His age and the amount of vomiting he's doing just has a huge red flag for a parvo virus infection. The best thing that you can do is to get him to your vet to have him tested and to then move forward with treatment based on that.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He had his vaccinations at 8 wks
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How can he have it if he had the vaccination for it?

One round of vaccines at 8 weeks of age isn't something that will guarantee protection from parvo. The vaccines are typically given in a series - 8, 12, and 16 weeks of age. This is to catch the immune system when it is ready to mount an antibody response. Parvo is treated by supportive care. The best is hospitalization with IV fluids and anti-nausea medication along with antibiotics.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've got the fever and vomiting under control at last. I went and put garlic in his system, along with three homeopathic pellets I routinely use for humans, that seem to have stopped the nausea and brought His fever back down. He's resting comfortably, cool as a cucumber, on the couch.

Please don't put any more garlic into anything that he's getting. It is in the Allium family along with onions and they cause red blood cell damage to dogs red blood cells. If enough garlic or onion is consumed, it can cause a very serious anemia from damage to the red blood cells.

Here is a link that goes over some of the more common people foods that are actually bad for dogs.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=3551

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian