Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I believe he had either a seizure or a stroke last night.

Customer Question
Has been on hydrocodone for...
I believe he had either a seizure or a stroke last night. Has been on hydrocodone for over a yr to relieve cough from collapsing trachea. Taking him to see my vet this morning. Should I refrain from giving hi, hydrocodone for now? trachea.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Theo, age 15 yrs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Theo?
Customer: seems to be back to normal now. Collapsing trachea and untreated Cushing's syndrome, otherwise relatively healthy for his age
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/16/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

I am sorry you have not gotten help from an expert before now. I just came online and saw your question.

Can you describe what happened, so I can tell if this was a stroke vs. seizure? Hydrocodone would not be harmful if this was a seizure, but I would not give it to him if this might have been a stroke.

Dogs with Cushing's can be prone to forming blood clots, so a stroke is possible. However, there is a condition seen in older dogs that can look like a stroke, called vestibular syndrome, that is not really serious, and gets better on its own. It will help to know what he did when he had this episode.

Let me know what other questions you have.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian