Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Someone is watching her for me and says she has had

Customer Question
diarrhea(been giving diatomacious earth for...
Someone is watching her for me and says she has had diarrhea(been giving diatomacious earth for parasites) and rectum is prolapsed.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Rosie aprox age 14-15 wks she was rescued off of the reservation.
JA: How old is Rosie?
Customer: Aprox 14-15 weeks old.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Rosie?
Customer: The vet that treated her after rescue said she had a stomach virus that started with a C.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She is around 5 pounds and looks to be a Chihuahua mix. Is there any way a prolapse can heal on its own? How about pushing it in?
11/16/2016
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Have they shared pictures with you of the prolapse? If so, can you please post them to the page so that I may see them?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't have any pics.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They said she is very happy and energetic still.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh yeah they also said she seems to be on the mend with less frequent trips outside to go potty.

Is the prolapse still evident?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not sure didn't think to ask. She did say she hoped to would right itself by morning. Any chance it could?

Unfortunately, prolapses are seldom fixed at home due to the inversion and swelling of tissue and I have yet to hear of one that has fixed itself. The longer its out the higher the risk of complications. The most ideal situation would be to have her examined, anesthetized and a purse string suture placed to keep the rectal tissue from prolapsing again. I would urge you to have them take her to the ER this evening for treatment.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian