Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

He is 8 weeks old and has crusty raised areas on his back and neck

Customer Question

JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Skeeter
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Skeeter?
Customer: he has a bit of watery stool
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 11 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) How long have you owned him?
2) How many veterinary visits for vaccines has he had?
3) When was his last fecal exam?
4) Any vomiting?
5) Can you also attach pictures of the bumps?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Less than a week
first round of vaccines
no vomiting
he's pure black does not photograph well

Was a fecal exam performed?

Do the lesions look similar to this? http://www.dermatologyforanimals.com/images/picture4.gif

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No inflammation at all...just really flakey and raised
It appears there was no fecal done...wormed on 11-04-16

It's very possible that these could be due to dandruff on the skin. Without an exam, we also cannot rule out the risk of mange, ringworm, flea allergy dermatitis, contact allergies from a reaction to detergent used in your home, carpet freshener, etc. although these do typically have some inflammation associated with them.

Are you feeding the same food that was being fed prior to adoption? If not, was a slow switch used over a period of 5-10 days?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Same food...breeder gave me a baggie
no fleas that I've found

I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. It often helps to give a bland diet with higher fiber for a few days to see if this calms the diarrhea. If you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian. The raised areas should also be examined by the vet if a few days of neosporin applied topically does not cause them to resolve.

To make this bland diet, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the diarrhea. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats over a 7-10 day period.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JACustomer. I didn't hear back from you yesterday. How is your companion doing?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I took him to he vet...pls don't charge my card since we did not get a solution. Thank you.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 10 months ago.

I'm glad to hear he was taken in for treatment. I'll contact customer service for you.