Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

How much is to much xylitol in a 74 lb German shepherd?

Customer Question
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/15/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you

Linda, hypoglycemia can occur at doses of greater than 75-100 mg/kg and hepatotoxicity (liver toxicity) can arise at greater than(###) ###-####mg/kg. She weighs 34 kg. I might be able to tell you the xylitol content in what Elsa ingested. Please let me know what it was.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She ingested melatonin with the first ingredient xylitol 3 mg the manufacturer is natrol
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We tried calling the 800 number they closed at 5:30

Thank you. 3 mg of xylitol in the melatonin pill/capsule is a miniscule amount and of no significance.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She is acting normal has eaten her dinner no signs of vomiting. Eyes look normal guns normal

...and she's going to stay nicely normal. It looks like our messages crossed. I posted "Thank you. 3 mg of xylitol in the melatonin pill/capsule is a miniscule amount and of no significance."

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Well that's the problem it was a 3 mg pill but I don't know how much eyentol was in pill.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's not an active ingredient so they don't have the amount

A 75 lb dog would need to ingest 2,550 mg of xylitol to become hypoglycemic. A pill containing 3 mg of melatonin won't contain 2,550 mg of xylitol.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
But..... she ate the WHOLE bottle :(. I believe very close to 100 pills

Oh! If she did so within a couple of hours, inducing emesis with 45 mL (3 measuring tablespoons) of 3% hydrgoen peroxide by means of a small poultry baster placed between her cheek teeth and cheek would be prudent. She should vomit within 15 minutes. If not, repeat the same dose. Alternatively, bring her to a 24-hour facility who will induce emesis with an injection of apomorphine and then administer activated charcoal - the universal antidote.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This is the story daughter and her dog , Elsa had a house fire. Elsa and Jessica have been nomads trying to find places to live while the house is being repaired. Elsa is glued to my daughter hut do yo all the commotion Elsa is not acting her normal self. Her world is upside down , my daughter understands the crazy way things are but Elda doesn't. Jessica's teaching elementary school on North Carolina and me , mom lives in New York.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Figured letting you understand the crazies might give you a better picture. This eating of the bottle probably happened around 2;00-3:00 this afternoon isn't that a little to late for vomiting?

It is, yes. Now your job is to have Elsa's blood glucose and liver enzymes checked - preferably within 12 hours. Symptoms of toxicity can arise 30 minutes - 12 hours after ingestion. If Elsa is lucky even a 100 pills won't add up to enough xylitol to intoxicate her.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok thank you

You're welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok ,been thinking ,if Elsa's tests come back high what happens next?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Jessica and Elsa are on the way to the emergency vet.

If her blood glucose is low, she'll be administered IV glucose and you'll be asked to feed her quite often throughout the day. If her liver enzymes are high, treatment might still be IV fluids containing glucose and electrolytes and hepatoprotective supplements such as samE and silymarin (milk thistle) will be prescribed.

Ah!. That's good to hear. Keep me posted, please.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 12 months ago
Hi Linda,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Elsa. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian