Krista Kline
Krista Kline, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine
96058759

She is 4 years old, and has always been in good health, but

Customer Question

she is 4 years old, and has always been in good health, but the last couple of days she's been getting a pretty good amount of light brown discharge from her left ear. The inside of the ear looked red and irritated yesterday, but today it's not as bad.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: Duh! A female dog. Boston Terrier mix.
JA: Maybe I'm confused. I thought you had a problem with a pet. Is that correct?
Customer: Yes, I'm sorry, that's why I said duh. It was silly of me not to mention it to begin with.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Budger
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Budger?
Customer: No, she's always been in good shape with no problems. That's why her ear draining all of a sudden worried me. She is due for her shots I believe.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Krista Kline replied 10 months ago.

Hi! My name is***** and I am a small animal veterinarian and I am going to help you with Budger today. Would you mind answering a few more questions about Budger so I can get a better history?

It looks like you have been noticing some light brown discharge from the left ear for the last few days correct? Is there any odor? Are you cleaning the ears at all with any general canine ear cleaner? Has she ever had an ear infection in the past? Any grooming or bathing recently or swimming?

Has Budger ever had an ear infection before? It sounds like she has an ear infection and I would recommend getting her examined by a veterinarian. The veterinarian will most likely take a sample from the ear and look at it under the microscope to determine if the infection is bacteria or yeast. They will then most likely give you a topical ointment or drops for the infection along with an ear cleaner. Some patients require an anti-inflammatory if the ear canal is really swollen and if they are painful. I hope this helps! I hope Budger gets feeling better. Do you have any other questions or concerns?

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your veterinarian.