Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I HAVE A CHOCOLATE LAB 14 YEARS OLD IN THE LAST WEEK TO 10

Customer Question

I HAVE A CHOCOLATE LAB 14 YEARS OLD IN THE LAST WEEK TO 10 DAYS HE IS NOT EATING HIS REGULAR DOG FOOD IF I GIVE HIM PEOPLE FOOD HE EATS AND WILL EAT A DOG TREAT HE DID HAV A WEEKNESS IN HIS HIPS ONE EVENING THIS WEEK I DO NOT KNOW IF HE IS SHUTTING DOWN AND DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO PLEASE REPLY
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: GATOR
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about GATOR?
Customer: HE WAS HEAVY BUT SINCE HE REFUSES FOOD HE HAS LOST WEIGHT HE DOES NOT SEEM TO BE IN MORE PAIN
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply. Please be patient. This may take a few minutes.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Gator. You're smart to recognize that such selective eating is a danger sign particularly at Gator's quite advanced age. This is when we see degenerative disorders such as chronic renal or hepatic insufficiency and age-related malignancies. Because his symptoms are important but nonspecific, his vet will want to perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests. You should know within 24 hours how Gator might be helped. Please fast him for at least 4 hours prior to a blood draw for the most accurate test results. Never restrict water, however.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?