Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My puppy is 11 days old and the milk is drying up. She was

Customer Question
My puppy is 11 days...
My puppy is 11 days old and the bitches milk is drying up. She was treated for mastitis. Puppy seemed ok. This morning began crying and noticed lack of milk. No weight gain since birth but puppy seems vigorous
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Fannie
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Fannie?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/15/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian

Hello and thank you for asking your question. My name is***** will try to help.

Are you bottle feeding Fannie with puppy milk replacer?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Fannie is the mother. Just gave puppy esbilac
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Gave the puppy esbilac Fannie is mothers

Ok that sounds good. Fannie is not going to start producing milk so you will have to bottle feed the pup every 3-4 hours.

What can I help you with today?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The puppy weight is the same as at birth this is not right

I am hoping once you start feeding him with the milk replacer then his weight will go up. If he does not gain in 48 hours then he should be checked by a vet in person.

You could also take him to a vet today and a vet could make sure he does not have an underlying health issue and run a fecal test to make sure he does not have gastrointestinal parasites that are taking up the nutrients when he eats.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian