Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 12 1/2 year old greyhound has loose stool. He has good

Customer Question
control, no accidents, but difficult...
My 12 1/2 year old greyhound has loose stool. He has good control, no accidents, but difficult to clean up after.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the greyhound's name?
Customer: Leo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Leo?
Customer: I think he has allergies. He very noisily clears his throat, especially in the early AM. His nose also is drippy.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/15/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr. Hill. Please give me a moment to type my full response. Thank you

Diarrhea is a very nonspecific clinical sign. There are a few things that you can do before seeing your vet that may help resolve the issue. I would start a very bland diet such as boneless/skinless chicken breast and white rice. I would start Leo on Propectalin for 3-5 days and then start Proviable. The propectalin is a probiotic with kaolin clay to help firm up diarrhea and repopulate the gut with healthy bacteria. The Proviable is a straight probiotic that should be continued for a few months. The bland diet should be fed for 5-7 days and then gradually transitioned back onto his normal diet. If the diarrhea becomes watery, has blood in it, Leo starts vomiting, or is not eating well, then he needs to be seen by your local veterinarian. Diarrhea can be seen with underlying disease with the liver and kidneys. Bloodwork and a fecal exam at your local veterinary hospital would help determine this. Please ask any follow up questions. You can continue posting on this thread for a couple of days, even after rating my response. Take care.

Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian