Dr. Chelsea Pulter
Dr. Chelsea Pulter, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  associate veterinarian at Banfield
95952882

My dog has a hot spot and I'm wondering how it takes for it

Customer Question

My dog has a hot spot and I'm wondering how long it takes for it to clear up? I started treating her with 'hot spot' medicine and it wasn't helping. Then I read online to shave the area and put antiseptic on it to help dry it up. And I did that. It got a scab on it but was a little red so I put antibiotic cream on it. Now the redness is gone. Is there anything else I can do? Oh I also gave her a bath this weekend using an oatmeal shampoo. Thank you for any help
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Chelsea Pulter replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I am Dr. Pulter. Please give me a minute to reply.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok

Everything that you have done sounds great. My only tidbit of advice is to have the area examined by a veterinarian. With only topical treatment and not having been examined we do not know how deep the hotspot is. Typically with medications from your vet the skin lesions should clear up in 10-14 days, but sometimes longer depending on how deep it is. What you also want to determine is why your pet got a hot spot. Usually it is from licking and chewing the site due to itch.

There are three major causes of itch in dogs. Fleas, food and the environment. What adds to this itch is infection (bacterial or fungal). The first thing you need to do is talk with your veterinarian about strict flea control on all the animals in the house. Even cats as they may be the ones harboring fleas. Then if your veterinarian, based on their exam, feels that your pet needs a diet trial they will prescribe a diet. The trial will last 6-12 weeks depending on the pup. Treatment of itch can include a variety of medications from steroids to antibiotics, but if the underlying cause, as stated before, is not controlled then the itchiness will continue. Sometimes pets need to be on treatment continuously to help control their itch. there are safe medications to use long term if needed. Another option is to seek out a veterinary dermatologist to work with you on the causes of Coco's itch.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you ��

you are welcome. Please go ahead and rate my answer. If you need anything else just reply to this question.

Hi Sue,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Coco. How is everything going?

Dr. Chelsea Pulter