Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My cleaners left the toilet seat up and I caught my dog

Customer Question

My cleaners left the toilet seat up and I caught my dog drinking from it. He couldn't have had much because I caught him right away. I believe they cleaned it with bleach. He seemed fine, but later vomited and had some diarrhea. Since then, he ate again and had a normal bowel movement with no vomiting. Just trying to figure out if I need to take him to the vet or just monitor him?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr. Peter. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Hello, again, my name is***** will do my best to help you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he lethargic?

2- Any other symptoms?

3- How much does he weigh?

4- How long has it been since he drank out of the toilet?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He's not lethargic. He was wrestling with our other dog a little bit ago. He's 60 lbs.He drank it this morning around 6:30 am but was acting normal. When my husband went home at lunch, he found the vomit and stool. The puppy ate lunch around 12:30, and seemed fine when my husband went back to work at 3pm.

Thank you for answering my questions. Please give me 5-10 minutes to type your answer.

Caryn, I am sorry that you are having this problem with your dog. In response to your question, the concern with the ingestion of bleach is that it can cause ulceration/irritation of the gastrointestinal tract; this is very dependent on the amount ingestion and dilution. If your dog is behaving normal and was wrestling I think he is going to be fine. Symptoms that would require a vet visit are lethargy, continues to vomit, anorexia, abdominal pain, etc. In the meantime, this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or Imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer a small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet.

4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above or he becomes lethargic, anorexic, abdominal pain, swollen abdomen, pale gums, etc. he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter