Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog threw up earlier today and is constantly licking the

Customer Question
Hi, my dog threw up...
Hi, my dog threw up earlier today and is constantly licking the floor but otherwise seems fine... should I be worried? Thank you!
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No, she just had her regular dog food, and I've been home with her all day
JA: Have there been any changes in the dog's appearance or diet?
Customer: No, everything has been pretty normal 4-5 days ago I found a chocolate flavored granola bar wrapper that she dug out of the trash... my wife ate the granola but there might have been a few crumbs. We took her to the vet that day and the vet monitored the dog for an afternoon and nothing happened since then is there potential of delayed toxicity from cocoa?
JA: Is there anything else you think the vet should know?
Customer: No, she's been completely normal otherwise She's chasing her ball around the house right now ok
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/14/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She's keeping water down and has had her normal amount of water post walk. Her gums look fine, have already checked - looks like a normal pink, and not moist or sticky, attached file here for reference. She seems fine with her belly as well, I'm rubbing her belly now and it seems fine. I've been home with her all day also so I don't think she would have eaten anything.I mentioned to your colleague earlier that 4-5 days ago we found a chocolate flavored granola bar wrapper that she dug out of the trash - my wife ate the granola but there may have been some crumbs. We took her to the vet that day and she was monitored for the afternoon but no issues - vet just asked us to watch to make sure she doesn't vomit that evening. Could there be an issue with delayed toxicity from chocolate?

Thank you,

First, I would note that both her signs (vomiting and floor licking) are nausea signs in the dog. And while the chocolate exposure sounds low/mild, I’d note that it isn’t likely to be causing signs at this point. Instead, we’d be more wary of her current nausea being related to a brewing gut infection, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (which sounds less likely here).

With this all in mind, since her gums are normal and since she can keep water down, we can try some home supportive care to see if we can settle her stomach. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can try an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with your vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find the nausea just too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need the local vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

After that has had time to absorb, we can start small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). When you offer these meals, give her 30 minutes after to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing but the chocolate exposure sounds small and too long ago to cause her nausea at this point. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, your vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to get her back feeling like herself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you very much! This is very helpful. I'll keep monitoring her then and try the supportive care regimen you provided, and if anything comes up will certainly get her vet involved. Thank you again!

You are very welcome, my dear.

I am glad I could give you some options to try and that sounds like a good plan of action. :)

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. B.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello, she's doing fine, thank you! Followed your advice and she seems to be just fine now. Thanks again!

Hello again,

You are very welcome and thank you for the update.

I am very glad to hear that we could soothe her stomach and get her settled. :)

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian