Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

When I got home from work, she came to greet me but yelped

Customer Question
in pain before I could...
When I got home from work, she came to greet me but yelped in pain before I could even touch her. She's clearly very uncomfortable. She's reluctant to move and she laying with her head in my lap breathing hard and periodically shivering. I've felt all over her limbs, back and neck and also palpataed her belly. Nothing seems to hurt her worse although when she went from sitting to laying her head down, she cried. She's a 2 year old lab/pit mix who is current on her vaccines.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Abbie
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Abbie?
Customer: I'm not sure if this is relavent but we just brought a new puppy home last week. We got the puppy from a breeder and the puppy is up to date on shots, although she is only 8 weeks and hasn't had her third set of puppy shots. Also, Abbie had a normal vowel movement this morning about 12 hours ago and none since. She has not vomited either.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/14/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

When you were testing her belly, did you palpate/press firmly or just touch? Any tensing, firmness or pain when you do so?

Any chance of a trauma or fall?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

Has she been passing urine/stool normally since you posted?

Does she seem weak or wobbly with any of her legs?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I was palpating quite firmly and she didn't wince or react at all. Same when I pressed firmly along each vertebrae and when I held her nose and roared her head up, down, right and left. There was no pain reaction. She has been very hesitant to move, but has managed to go up and down short flight of stairs. She wanted to get in my bed but seemed unable. When I picked her up she yelped louder than I've heard her.
Her gums seem a little pale but she drank water when I offered ( but no food).
She hasn't passed any stool or urine since I posted. About an hour ago she stood by the door but when I took her out she just stood and stared at me.
She doesn't seem wobbly with any of her legs but she looks like she's hunching her back a little. She's also licking her lips a lot. I checked again just now-palpating her belly from up under her ribs to her anus and she again did not wince.
Thank you for getting back to me ASAP. I'm just trying to decide if this warrants an emergency vet call.

Good, I am glad to see that you are examining thoroughly. Though it sounds like she is trying to put a brave face on for you. Especially as her struggles to get into bed and the hunching fit most with back or abdominal pain. Though if she won't eat, I'd lean to the latter with her and be concerned about a possible pancreatitis, gut blockage (from something she ate, worms, or even gut occluding itself) and to a lesser extent a gastroenteritis.

Therefore, with these in mind and if her gums look paler then usual (a sign of blood loss or even gut circulatory issues), I do feel it best to have her seen at this point. THe worry of gut issues means we cannot really use any home pain relief options (since Aspirin can cause stomach ulcers on an empty stomach) and this would be a situation I'd see urgently if she were my patient. And that way we can get her onto injectable strong gut safe pain relief while working out which issue is present and heading it off for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Please rate me by clicking on the **stars** at the top of the page as this is the only way the site credits me for helping you. Thank you!: )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian