jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

Our dog has a sickening breath odor. It spell like rotten

Customer Question

Our dog has a sickening breath odor. It spell like rotten something. He has a throat clearing sound he makes. We cheked his teeth and gums, but they look ok. He has a history of alergies, geardia, and grain intollenerance.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: He is a 9 year old Airedale names Scotty.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Scotty?
Customer: He is on a gluten free diet of lamb and rice that seems to control his ear infections and skin rashes. If he gets any graine he get oozy pumps and ear infections. My last mistake was giving hi a bite of a cookie I was eating and he paid the price with a break out/usually near the tale or on either side. His ear discharge will be redish and oily.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 9 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Many problems can cause bad breath in a dog. The most common cause is dental problems and you can usually spot these as you can see tartar on the teeth and possibly red gums and darkened teeth. However some tooth issues may not be readily seen especially ones in the back teeth. You also need to look at the folds around the mouth looking for redness, whitish discharge or discoloration that might indicate yeast dermatitis in the folds around the mouth that can cause pretty bad mouth odor. Kidney problems or diabetes can also cause bad breath as can a stomach upset or your dog licking his anal glands which are seeping due to being overfull, though you usually can smell this cause at both ends of your dog.

An anal gland odor is frequently reminiscent of a fecal odor though the odor can vary greatly since each dog's odor is unique to them. If the dog also has a similar odor near the rear as well, then I would suspect anal gland problems.

Since he is also doing a bit of gagging, this might indicate an infection further down the trachea or even in the nasal passages. There really isn't a way for you to examine those areas. You might see some swelling under the eye or on the muzzle that might also indicate an infected tooth. Your vet will need to check the throat and nasal passages. . I would look into a probiotic since I'm sure he's been on antibiotics before. Check with your vet for a suitable probiotic that won't interfere with any other medications or trigger his allergies.

I'd also get a senior checkup done to check organ function and check for diabetes as well.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 8 months ago.

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. Let me know if my answer was helpful.