Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My puppy has been having diarrhea the last few days but only

Customer Question
at night time. We have...
My puppy has been having diarrhea the last few days but only at night time. We have tried a few different things and they seem to help temporarily like yogurt but seem to give him a lot of gas. We were combining pumpkin in with his food for the last few days and it's helped but only during the day. I've called my vet and they said to try pepto and I really don't think that helped at all. They aren't open today but we decided to give him rice today in replacement to his normal food could his diarrhea be from a reaction to his food? He had normal stool for at least a week before all of this happened. He's acting normal wants to play and eat and drinks water. I did notice that his paws are very slightly chilly and his nose is alittlw cold.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/13/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Candy, Veterinary Technician replied 1 year ago
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician

Hello, My name is Candy
Thank you for allowing me to assist you today. I am reviewing your question and will be right with you.

Were there any food changes before the loose stool started, this could be food, treats or human foods?

Is his stool normal in the morning?

Was he dewormed at his last appointment?

Any vomiting or loss of appetite?

How long have you had him?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No we had already transferred him over to the current food 2 weeks ago and he had normal stool for a whole week before he started having loose stoolsHis normal stools tend to start happening around 11 Am most are normal some soft but still structuredNo he was dewormed 10 days agoWe have had him for 3 weeks

Thank you. Please give me just a few moments to type up your answer.

With puppies the most common cause of diarrhea are food changes, eating something they should not or parasites. It is possible that he has a protozoa infection such as coccidia or giardia.

Now I am not sure what food you have him on but it could be that he has an intolerance to something in this food or the food is to rich for him.

As long as he is not vomiting and he is eating what I would do is switch him to a full bland diet such as boiled chicken or hamburger and boiled rice. Keep him on this for 5-7 days to see if the stool returns to normal. If you see no difference in 3-4 days I would suggest having your vet send a stool sample out to the vet to look for parasites or bacterial infection.

If the stool does become normal then slowly start adding in his regular food. If after adding his food the stools become soft again then that would tell us this is not the best food for him and you would want to pick a different brand.

If he stops eating or seems to decline in any way then I would have him rechecked by your vet.

I hope this helps give you some direction. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.

If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating . Rating indicates that you are finished with this session and prompts Justanswer to compensate me for assisting you today. I am not compensated for my time until you provide a rating.
Candy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What are some symptoms of those Protozoa infections? And how much should I feed him for the rice and chicken? He is 14 pounds

When making the food it would be 1 cup of rice to 1/2 pound of meat. A dog his size would get 1-1 1/4 cups per day divided in to 2-4 meals.

Protozoa infections can cause diarrhea, either continuous or intermittent. Some dogs will also have very smelly stools, loss of appetite, vomiting etc. The symptoms can vary with each dog and could depend on the levels of infestation.

Candy
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician