Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

It looks like my dog has a blood bubble (or blister) type

Customer Question

it looks like my dog has a blood bubble (or blister) type growth on his upper inner lid. Not on the eye but looks like attached to the inner eye lid. Have you ever seen this before?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bailey and he is 13 yrs old.
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Bailey?
Customer: no.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 10 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** Thank you for your question. Can you take a picture of Bailey's eye and post it? Is he holding the eye shut or squinting with it?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
He is not holding eye shut or squinting. Actually nobody would even know it's there unless you pull up the eye lid to expose it. Pls see 3 photos att'd. It looks dark red and as if you could squeeze and pop it...

I'm very sorry for my delay as an emergency at work pulled me away. Very good job on the photos of that area on Bailey's eye. It is good that he's not bothered by this growth. It looks like it could be a meibomian gland adenoma, a melanoma, or a cutaneous hemangioma / hemangiosarcoma. These would be my top rule outs for this. The only way to know which of these it is would be to remove it and to send it in for histopathology. The lesion itself is pretty local and it should be something that can be removed very simply without much of an issue. More than likely it won't physically irritate the eye as it appears to be pretty soft and moist. Could it start to drain? That is possible. The concern is if this is something more malignant.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is this something that is giving him any pain? It does not seem to bother or hurt him at all. On a scale 1-10 is this something we need to take him to the vet for- 10 being most urgent? Or can we let it go being that he is 13 yrs old?

More than likely this isn't causing any discomfort. If it was, he'd be squinting or holding that eye shut. If you look at the white of the eye, it isn't red and injected. That growth is pretty soft and moist so it most likely from a physical aspect with the eye is causing some blockage of vision in that region as he's looking. This is something that honestly a lot of owners let be with a 13 year old lab. They don't feel that they are going to do the surgery or do more aggressive treatments if it turns out to be a melanoma or other cancer. If an owner wants to do everything possible to try and keep him around as absolutely long as possible, then they would go through with the surgery. But, there is a very slight risk with any anesthetic procedure and that has to be weighed into the situation.