Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 5 yr. old mixed breed. She is in excellent health

Customer Question

I have a 5 yr. old mixed breed. She is in excellent health and the few times we was sick, she would go to the door and gag to be let out. Yesterday I went to an Animal Fair. I purchased a "bone" that was about 1/4" thick, 2" wide and approx. 7" long. It was favored with bacon. When she started eating it it appeared to sort of sliver. She ate about 2/3 of it. Last night and today she vomited dark brown material 3 times. She would just get up and this stuff just flowed out of her mouth without any gagging. Then just now she went to the door and was gagging. I let her out and she vomited a regular looking yellowish stomach liquid Do you think she need immediate vet care or since the last is more normal, can I wait and take her to her normal vet tomorrow. She is very quiet which for her is unusual.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about the animal?
Customer: She has always been very healthy. She weighs about 50 lbs. I tried to find the label that was on these bones but the trash is already out.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Lisa replied 9 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Expert:  Lisa replied 9 months ago.

Do you know if it was an actual bone, or something that just looked like a bone?

Is her belly hard to the touch, or soft?

Has she defecated today?