Pearl Tjoa
Pearl Tjoa, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with over 6 years experience in Small Animal Emergency and General Practice
94504035

Vomiting,about 4 times since 2 a.m.. she acts fine,but,if

Customer Question

Vomiting,about 4 times since 2 a.m.. she acts fine,but,if she eats anything,she vomits it up a short time later. She keeps small amounts of water down...she's almost 2 years old
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that we know of,although ,she tries to eat almost everything she finds,we walk with her and try to keep things out of her mouth.Some mess,but, she vomits alittle bile,mostly the food. At what point do we take her to a vet ?? Right now, we have taken all food away, giving her small amounts of ice
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Not really, she's always in a good mood,even now,wants to play
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pearl Tjoa replied 8 months ago.

It sounds like your pet is at risk of a GI obstruction. Since she is unable to hold down food, and with her history of trying to eat a lot of things and the fact that she seems to be feeling well and still has an appetite, it is possible that she has eaten something that may be stuck in some part of the GI tract (Stomach, intestines, etc) and even though she is hungry, food is not able to move through and will end up coming back up. This is a very good time to take her to the vet for an Xray to look for an obstruction. Depending on what it is, it may or may not eventually move through. Your vet will be able to help you decide what the best next step would be after taking some Xrays. The risk for waiting is if the material that is stuck doesn't end up moving through and causes break down of tissue where it is lodged. Eventually your pet will stop eating, feel sick, and the area may even rupture and can be life-threatening. It is better to find out sooner rather than later since treatment is always more effective while your pet is still healthy. If no obstruction is found, your vet can start with symptomatic treatment or other diagnostics to look for other causes of vomiting as well. Let me know if you have any additional questions or need clarification on any of this information. I hope she starts to feel better soon.

Best,

Dr. Pearl

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Pearl Tjoa