Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

4 year old border terrier sick for 2 days, very listless

Customer Question
with bouts of energy. Any...
4 year old border terrier sick for 2 days, very listless with bouts of energy. Any suggestions please to help him return to full fitness
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The veterinarian will know how to help the Border terrier. What is the Border terrier's name?
Customer: Ted
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Ted?
Customer: He is prone to eat infections. My daughter recently bought puppy which picks on Ted quite a lot. Could this be exhaustion
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
His pumps are particularly smelly however his stools are normal
11/13/2016
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Are you seeing any vomiting or change in appetite?
2) How recent was the puppy added to the household?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2days of vomiting. Today is day 3 no vomiting so far. Puppy has been with us since August. I look after him 3 days a week

Because you're seeing some vomiting, I would go forward with allowing him to have something for nausea and also changing his diet to help with the odor in the stools. It often helps to give something to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, avoid or treat changes in the stool, etc. If you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian