Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Constipation, Layla and she is a rescue estimate about 10

Customer Question
constipation JA: I'm sorry to hear...
constipation
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Layla and she is a rescue estimate about 10 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Layla?
Customer: drinking a lot of water
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/12/2016
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

Im sorry to hear Layla is not doing well. Can you tell me more about her situation? Have you witnessed any diarrhea? How long has she been unable to use the bathroom?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
he had diarrhea 2 days ago and the not going to the bathroom started yesterday evening. She won't eat her regular dog food, but ate some turkey thin slices 2.

It sounds like she has a profound GI upset. The reason that she is not using the bathroom is because she doesn't have any stool to produce. When we have diarrhea, this quickly clears all fecal material from the intestines so it takes a few days (with good appetite) to produce more stool before a pet will need to defecate.

That being said, we need to get her appetite back on track before we the diarrhea can be treated. I can give you some steps to take at home to help your companion’s stomach feel better. It often helps to give something to calm the stomach and a bland diet with higher fiber. This can help to reduce the instance of nausea/vomiting, avoid or treat changes in the stool, etc. If you do not see a marked improvement from your pet or you see worsening of symptoms, they absolutely must be examined by a veterinarian.

The first step is to administer a dose of regular pepcid (famotidine) every 12-24 hours. You will want to give 0.5mg/pound of body weight (a 10# ***** would receive 5mg, a 5# ***** would receive 2.5mg, etc). For this, you can visit any human pharmacy and buy the OTC brand name Pepcid, or you can use the cheaper, off-brand “famotidine” that’s available. Either will be useful.

2 hours following a dose of famotidine, the time needed for the medication to begin working, you can offer a bland diet. To make this, you’ll combine white or brown rice, boneless, skinless chicken breast and sufficient water for cooking in a stock pot. Boil on medium until it turns to mush and the breast is easily flaked. To avoid more nausea, start with small amounts to begin with and offer the amount every 2-4 hours. A few teaspoons to start is typically sufficient and you can work your way up every 2-4 hours in incremental increases until you’re sure no vomiting will be seen. If your companion requires a more palatable food, try adding in pureed baby food in chicken, turkey and similar flavors. Avoid those that contain onion or garlic in the ingredient panel. Work up to feeding exclusively until at least 3 days following the resolution of the GI upset. After this, work on slowly switching back to the regular food that your companion typically eats.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She has bloating in her stomach and is constipated, she went out this morning 2 small poops hard.

If you're seeing bloating, I would recommend a visit to your vet.

If you are certain the diarrhea has stopped, you can give 1tsp of mineral oil per 10# ***** body weight twice daily with food. The extra fiber in the diet recommended above will help to move through any stool that is not moving through her intestines easily. This typically takes 12-24 hours before normal stool resumes.

Checking in, JA Customer. I didn't hear back from you yesterday. How is your companion? Do you need any additional assistance?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian