Pearl Tjoa
Pearl Tjoa, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian with over 6 years experience in Small Animal Emergency and General Practice
94504035

I have a senior akita and she has scooted a couple of times

Customer Question

I have a senior akita and she has scooted a couple of times recently and has also been pooping when she's lying on her side.
This morning there was some poop with blood on the outside of it and I noticed blood on her fur also. This looks like an issue with her anal glands. Can you tell me if it seems like it could be anal glands? I sprayed her anal area with zymox with 1% hydrocortisone spray and have some amoxicillin I can give her. Her vet is closed today. Can I also put some mupirocin ointment on her anus or Neosporin and try to express her anal glands? I have attached a photo of her anal area and the blood on her fur
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Pearl Tjoa replied 10 months ago.

Based on your description and picture, it is possible that it could be the anal glands, but it can also be other causes. If it is the anal gland, depending on severity, it may need to be expressed and treated medically, or require surgery to flush out and drain the material. Other causes may be a mass or infection. I would definitely recommend having her seen by a veterinarian sooner rather than later. They will be able to do a very thorough rectal exam to distinguish between an anal gland issue vs some other issue. If the vet is closed today, you may consider bringing her to one that is open. She may also need some pain medication as well. I would recommend to withhold any oral medications until she sees a vet in case they interfere with the medications that may need to be given. It may be helpful to bring the medications with you in case they can be used. The ointments you are using will likely not cause any harm, but if it seems painful, you may not want to apply them. Let me know if you need to clarify anything, and I hope that she starts to feel better soon!

Best,

Dr. Pearl