Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog has Kennel Cough despite being vaccinated. She is now

Customer Question

My dog has Kennel Cough despite being vaccinated. She is now on an antibiotic but is there anything we can do to help her suppress the cough and stop throwing up whatever water she is getting in? She's urging all over and can't even rest
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 10 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** I'm sorry to hear about this situation with Gemma. Is she vomiting up water? Or is she coughing and coughing and then bringing up some water with that? Is she eating well and no food has been brought up? What antibiotic did your vet start her on?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She's coughing and coughing them bringing up water. She is eating food well and have seen no food come up. The vet put her on Clavamox 375mg

That is great that she's not having any food come up. The reason I asked that was to help make sure that this wasn't vomiting. If she was vomiting, then food would be coming up as well as she's been eating and not just the fluids / water. How long ago was she started on the antibiotic? The kennel cough vaccine is something that is similar in effect to the human flu vaccine. It doesn't necessarily eliminate all of the disease but hopefully makes the disease less clinical if / when the get exposed and infected with it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She was just started this morning. So only one dose. I just feel so bad for her. She can not rest and it's so horrible to watch. This all just started happening over night
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is there any symptom relief she can have??

Is she still being active and playing? Is she one that coughs more after stimulation? Have you taken her collar of and kept pressure off her neck?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She coughs even at rest. Like the tickle just won't stop. She wants to be playful but she can't and even laying down she keeps at it. Then she'll wretch and get up

She sounds pretty irritated. Keeping her quiet, no pressure on the neck, no smoke, no dust, etc.. all can help to try and quiet down the trachea. Did your vet send home any other medications in addition to the Clavamox?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No. it was an emergency vet so not our primary care vet. I'll do my best to keep her quiet. I just wish there was something else I could do to ease her discomfort:-(.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
She has no collar on

At my ER when I have a kennel cough dog in the clinic, I will use a cough tab - it has dextromorphan and guaifenesin in it to help provide some relief. For a medium to large dog, I'll use 100 mg guaifenesin and 5 mg dextromphan. Here is a similar product

http://www.robitussin.com/products/cough-chest-congestion-dm

There can be no other things in it. Some coughing is needed to help bring up the material that is there in the trachea.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
How much of the ribitissin do I give her? I would only give at night. As hard as it is to watch I guess she's gotta cough ?

If I was to use that particular product, it would be 5 mls (1 teaspoon) every 8 - 12 hours. The key again is to make sure it isn't any other product as they can have other ingredients that can be an issue.