Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Diabetes and he is ketonic we dont know when the right time

Customer Question

diabetes and he is ketonic we dont know when the right time to let him go is
JA: I'm sure the veterinarian can help with the diabetes.
Customer: we have two excellent vets who have done what they can as an outpatient, we need more help but know the next step is hospitalization and is very expensive
JA: Have there been any changes in the dog's appearance or diet?
Customer: yes and yes he is a med size dog 60 lbs normal, he is now 52lbs hair is brittle, losing it slowly he is weak, lethargic but still happy, wags his tail and won't eat on his own without hand feeding, not his own food, but people food he is on 11units of human insulin twice a day
JA: Is there anything else you think the vet should know?
Customer: vet says if he wont eat he is in starvation mode, they want him monday for a few days if we agree as his caretakers he is an almost 11 yr old mixed breed, keeshond is part of the mix
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm so sorry that you're having to go through this situation with your dog. I do have a few additional questions so that I can understand the situation better.

1. How long has he been diagnosed as a diabetic?

2. Has he been well controlled for the most part or it's been a struggle to find the right dose for him?

3. Have other conditions such as a urinary tract infection or Cushing's disease been mentioned to you or have any additional tests been done?

Thanks, Deb