Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have two rescue dogs,who were very sociable at first.they

Customer Question
played together a lot.Know it...
I have two rescue dogs,who were very sociable at first.they played together a lot.Know it seems that there always trying to fight to the death.they both have gotten very bad infections from all the fighting.Do i know have to keep them chained up,and how do i deal with these very bad infections that they both have know.my lab mix with huskie is the one who has the worse infection.He has a big bubble growing on his chest,ears and legs.I believe they have to be treated internally in order to stop the growth.What do you suggest i do to save there lives.Why has the lab mix become so aggressive.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?
Customer: michael and bruno
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about michael?
Customer: Micheal was the first one i rescued than bruno.bruno was a puppy when i rescued him.he was the first one i rescued after my akita died.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/13/2016
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 1 year ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

It sounds like you may be seeing abscesses on your dog from the wounds. These occur when the wound heals on the outside but the bacteria has entered under the skin and multiplies leading to abscesses. You can read about this here:

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/symptoms/abscess-in-dogs

Often a vet will drain the abscess either by lancing and stitching or with a syringe. The blood and pus is removed and oral antibiotics are prescribed. Often a broad spectrum antibiotic such as amoxicillin is prescribed. You can read about usage, precautions and dosages here:

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/prescription/amoxicillin

There is usually a top dog and often as younger dogs mature and older dog's age, a younger do may feel they are a better choice to be the boss and then fights can occur. If both dogs are dominate and evenly matched, the fights can continue indefinitely. This is often a real problem with female dogs especially if they are not spayed.

Obedience training can help you control them. The following site is helpful in helping owners train their dog. Be sure and click on the link to the page on obedience at the bottom. and links on subsequent pages leading to detailed instructions.

http://www.schutzhund-training.com/training_theory.html

Training works best if you train at least 30 minutes a day (two 15 minute sessions). I would start making your dog work via the Nothing in life is free program (NILF). It is outlined below.

http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dog_nilf.htm

http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/training_nothing_in_life_is_free.html

Additional training can also help. Both dogs should be leashed and if one dog even looks at the other dog, a correction should be done. Any sign of aggression including a prolonged look, hair raised on the shoulders, a growl or even a stiff legged walk, should be corrected. A correction is a quick tug of the leash and a firm low toned "NO". Once you have done this couple of times, you should notice the dogs ignoring each other. When that happens, you will want to reward them for the desired behavior. Again, use tasty treats like the hot dog slices. This teaches the dogs that you WILL not tolerate fighting in YOUR pack.

You can also use basket style muzzles to allow interaction without fear of bites occurring. This might help until you get some training done and have them under control. You have to pick a top dog or identify the dog most likely to be the boss. Give that dog privileges such as feed them first, give tthem treats first and let that dog come in and out first. That dog should get attention first as well even if you have to push the other one away. This will help avoid confrontations between the dogs. Often owners try to show each dog equal amounts of attention or rotate what dog gets attention and treats first, but that confuses the dog. If the owner acknowledges the bass, the other dog is more likely to submit to that dog as well.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. Did you find my answer helpful?

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner