Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog ,2yrs. Seems to have come in contact with an allergy.

Customer Question

My dog ,2yrs. Seems to have come in contact with an allergy. He has welts, and they wre large, he has swelling around his mouth and throat. His nose is cold and moist, attitude fine, welts are turning red. Covering all of him are the welts.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.

Hi,I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your question now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

But before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me, so could you please answer the following :

1. How long ago did this first happen { Minutes or hours ago } ?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
12 15 hours

Hello again

Sorry to hear your dog is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below.

1. While I cannot 100% diagnose this over the internet I have to say that any sudden onset swelling on the face area on a dog including the eyes, lips and nose is typical of an allergic reaction in the dog, and an itchy skin with hives or bumps elsewhere on the body may also develop. This is actually very common and is usually the result of an allergy to an insect bite or sting of some kind, if this is the diagnosis then while sometimes quite spectacular it is rarely dangerous.

2. I am aware that many people treat this with the likes of benadryl, provided your dog is otherwise bright alert and happy then you should do no harm with this class of drug. Here is a link to the use of benadryl in the dog including dose rates and contraindications etc. : LINK . Very often though Benadryl does not act instantly, you may have to give it a few times over the next couple of days for this type of allergic reaction to subside, but see the link above.

3. But if your dog deteriorates, is unwell at all, or other symptoms appear other than the facial swelling and skin hives or it does not quickly resolve you should consult your local vet as soon as is practicable. But in any case I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks

No problem, very glad to be advising you.

Sometimes these sorts of cases just need a little more time ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?