Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog cant poop she has tryed but I had to clean her up She

Customer Question
My dog cant poop she...
My dog cant poop she has tryed but I had to clean her up
She has no energy doesn't eat and I am having to give her water in small amounts
Could she be impacted and can I give her an
Emma?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/11/2016
Dog Veterinarian: jadedangel57, owner replied 1 year ago
jadedangel57

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Be sure and read the important note below before trying any of these methods. If your dog is experiencing constipation on a regular basis you should add roughage to his diet such as canned pumpkin (not pie filling kind) or Metamucil. A spoon full of pumpkin on the dog's food should keep his bowels hydrated and his feces soft enough to pass.

A one time use of a spoon of mineral oil on her food can also be used but should not be used all the time.

There are two methods I use for young puppies, which may work on your dog. I first try lubricating a rectal thermometer and take the puppies temperature. This frequently stimulates the puppy into going. If this fails and you have a nasal bulb syringe (aspirator), you can put warm water in it and gently squeeze a small amount into the rectum and see if this doesn't help. These method work on dogs of all sizes. Check the rectal area and make sure there is no dried fecal matter blocking the rectum. Also check that the anal glands are not full or infected. A dog might avoid defecating if the glands are painful.

You can use a children’s glycerin suppository depending on the size of your dog but the other methods are what I recommend you try first.

IMPORTANT NOTE If your dog ate a non-food item, bone or rawhide recently or if your dog is experiencing other symptoms such as vomiting, not eating or drinking, severe abdominal pain, the dog needs to see a vet and not treatment for constipation.. The above signs could indicate an intestinal obstruction, which you can read about here:

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/gastric-stomach-foreign-body-in-dogs/page1.aspx

if your dog becomes dehydrated. You can tell by pulling up the skin between his shoulder blades and seeing if it flows back down normally. If it stays tented or is slow to return to normal, your dog is dehydrated and needs fluids immediately and should see a vet as soon as possible.

If gums and tongue become pale and not a normal pink color or the rectal temperature is over 103F (101-102F is normal) or your dog becomes lethargic and non-responsive, your dog should also see a vet as soon as possible.

Small dogs have to eat regularly or they could become hypoglycemic which can lead to seizures and even death, so be sure to put some karo or pancake syrup on her gums or tongue every 4 hours or so to keep her blood sugar levels up. If she has not eaten for a day or so, I'd definitely have your vet take a quick look before the weekend to avoid an ER visit.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. Let me know if my answer was helpful.

jadedangel57
jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner