Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Her hair is thinning, Ashlyn, she'd an 8 yr old saint

Customer Question
Her hair is thinning JA: I'm...
Her hair is thinning
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Ashlyn, she'd an 8 yr old saint bernard that is in the house
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about Ashlyn?
Customer: She has reoccurring tapeworms and is on preventative along with medication to treat the tapeworm
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/11/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long has this been going on for? Does she seem itchy at all? What type of preventative is she on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

She is on interceptor plus ...and then the drontal...it's been Going on now for over a year...there are over 50 nasty cats running around where I live in the county.. she scratches ...she gets yeat in her ears and the bet treats that too

Okay thanks for the additional information. Is she on a flea preventative? Based on what you are describing it sounds like she may have some type of allergies which is likely contributing to her thinning hair. Most dogs can be allergic things in the environment, food, or a combination of both. Dogs can also be allergic to fleas which may be the case if she is also very itchy. Where is most of the thinning hair located?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

She is on advantage ...her tail, her backlegs, around her neck

Okay does she get the advantage applied every month? The scratching, thinning hair, and the chronic ear infection is pretty consistent with an allergies. You may want to ask your veterinarian about placing her on some allergy medications to see if it helps. A couple of options to ask about includes either a long term oral steroid, or a newer allergy medication such as Apoquel. If you are notice improvement with these medications then that would confirm it. You also can consider having her allergy tested. There is an allergy assessement called Glacier Peak Allergy testing that you can get to see what she could be allergic too.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Yes every Month

Okay if she is getting flea prevention every month then it is less likely her allergies are due to fleas. They may more likely be due to something in the environment or food.

Looks like you are not online right now. I am logging out right now so another expert can help you

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian