jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

My dog has allergies. he has had skin tests all negative. im

Customer Question

my dog has allergies . he has had skin prick tests all negative. im desperate now..ive been through it before with my other dog and don't want another to suffer l;ike that. hes on a restricted diet 5 weeks in but no change...I have a giant weeping fig plant in my lounge ive heard they are no good for dogs ?
JA: Is the dog in any pain? Is it behaving differently?
Customer: no,,,he has itching paws and mouth... itchy bottom...
JA: Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the veterinarian.
Customer: he does tend to slobber a lot ...hes an English pointer
JA: Have there been any changes in the dog's appearance or diet?
Customer: since hes been on the veterinary exclusion diet hes lost weight... but the diet is a deliberate change to eliminate a food allergy
JA: Is there anything else you think the vet should know?
Customer: no
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 9 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

You state he had allergy testing (skin sensitivity type) and no allergies were identified?

Was your dog on allergy medications of steroids or prednisone in the weeks before testing was done?

Is he on flea preventative?

I was hoping to get some responses to my request for more information but it doesn't seem like that is going to happen today, so let me give you my thoughts.

If your dog was on anithistimines like benadry or other antiinflammatory medication before taking the skin sensitivity allergy tests, then it is possible the results were not accurate. Read about this here:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2111&aid=504

If your dog was not on any medications prior to testing than it should have been accurate. The weeping fig plant might be the whole problem though since it can cause skin irritation and dermatitis. Since allergy testing was negative, I'd remove the weeping fig plant and discuss this with your vet.

https://www.vetary.com/dog/condition/weeping-fig-poisoning

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Hi Again,

I just thought I'd check in to see how things are going for you and your dog. Let me know if my answer was helpful.