Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 13 year old shepherd will not stop panting for the last

Customer Question
two days and is struggling...
My 13 year old shepherd will not stop panting for the last two days and is struggling to sit down. He keeps following me around the house and his panting is getting heavier
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/10/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 1 year ago
Sarah Snow

I am Dr. Snow, and I can try and help you today with Hamlet. In an older large breed dog, panting can mean lots of things. The panting, combined with the pacing may be an indication of discomfort or anxiety. Is he on any medications?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No , no medications. This started two days ago and tonight he is struggling to sit down. He is not sleeping either
Dog Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 1 year ago

I'm sorry to hear this. It would be best to have him in to your veterinarian to assess him and see if it is arthritis causing him to be painful, or whether there is something more serious going on. Another possibility is anxiety, related to cognitive dysfunction, an aging change to the brain. In this case, there are some anti anxiety medications that can be used. There are also pain medications available for dogs for arthritis. Your veterinarian would be able to prescribe some.

For tonight, you could try some Diphenhydramine (Benadryl), which may make him sleepy and allow him to settle down. Heating up some towels in the dryer for him to lay on can also help soothe any discomfort he may have.

Please let me know if

Dog Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 1 year ago

I can be of further assistance.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you
Dog Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 1 year ago

You're welcome. Post back with an update if you can, and please kindly rate me :)

Dog Veterinarian: Sarah Snow,
 replied 1 year ago
Hi Chrystal,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Hamlet. How is everything going?

Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow