Sarah Snow
Sarah Snow,
Experience:  Veterinarian at The Vet Clinic East
95832735

We just got the prognosis that our dog has swollen salivary

Customer Question

We just got the prognosis that our dog has swollen salivary glands, before this about a month and a half ago he was being treated for lyme's disease. But he has gained a lot of weight now. Normally is 12-13 pounds and now is 18-19 pounds. The vet told us there isn't anything they can do. But is there something we can do so we stops being so inflamed. His stomach is now tight like it never used to be and he is uncomfortable because of the weight he has gained. Just looking for some recommendations we can take to the vet or think about so he is not so uncomfortable
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sarah Snow replied 9 months ago.

I am Dr. Bowers, and I can try and help you today with Tyson. What kind of dog is he? Is he uncomfortable in his belly because of his weight gain, or under his jaw because of the swollen glands?

Is he on any medications?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He is a Yorkie poo. He seems to be uncomfortable because of his weight gain. He normally likes to curl up in a ball to sleep and now lays flat and has a hard time sleeping at night sometimes because he can't find a comfortable spot. He is not on any medication as of now.

Hi there. Yorkies and Yorkie crosses are prone to a disease called lymphangiectasia, which causes some fluid to build up in the belly. I'm wondering if that might be whats going on vs. just him being fat. He shouldn't be that uncomfortable if he is just overweight. Luckily, if this is what is going on, it is treatable. I would suggest getting him back in to the vet to check his protein levels, as they would be low with this disease, and then treatment can be started to get him feeling better.

If thats not whats going on, your vet should be able to prescribe some pain medication, even if its just at nighttime, like an opioid pain medication, to keep him comfortable.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have further questions!

Dr. Snow

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
okay thank you!! also we are told there is nothing that can be done for the swollen salivary glands. Do you know of any remedies to try and get those to "break" up or what we can do to help him. We have seen somethings on massaging the area to help break them up but is there anything else that you have done to treat dogs with it?

Warm compresses could help. Sometimes we will try antibiotics and steroids as well. Steroids are one of the treatments for the lymphangiectasia as well so maybe ask your veterinarian about that.

Dr. Snow

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Won't the steroid cause him to bloat or get really sick, vomiting?

GI side effects can be a risk with steroids, however, they are usually well tolerated in dogs at normal doses. :)