Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a dashound she is about 7or8 years old winner dog her

Customer Question

I have a dashound she is about 7or8 years old winner dog her skin gets real ruff and then her hair comes out she had it before but got over it this time nothen helps could u tell me what it is and what I can do for it
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 11 months ago.

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) Can you attach clear and detailed pictures of the areas of concern?
2) When was her thyroid last tested, if ever?
3) Is she itching?
4) Any sores or just hair loss?
5) How is her body condition? Is she thin? obese?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can u give me an answer

I'm sorry, JACustomer. Did you reply to the questions above? If so, I did not see the reply post. Can you post again?

3) Is she itching?
4) Any sores or just hair loss?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
she itches and licks herself her size is about normal its been awhile sinceshes been to the vet

Can you share pictures of the areas you're concerned about?

Has her thyroid ever been tested? Was it tested the last time she went to the vet?

Are you seeing sores?

Is she thin? obese?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't know if her thyroid was ever tested and her body mass is about normal

Thank you. Any pictures to share? This will help greatly in being able to see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm not to good on this thing I don't how to take a picture and send it I'm sorry

That's okay, I can give you some suggestions to try. One moment while I type them out.

1) Have her thyroid tested if her hair coat is rough and brittle.

2) Try antihistamines if her skin is bothering her and her fur is falling out. There are many OTC options available and you can find dosing info here: http://cheyennewest.com/antihistamines-for-dogs-cats/

3) Try adding a small amount of fish oil to her diet to help with inflamed skin.

If the home options do not help, please ensure that she is examined and treated. We must also worry about ectoparasites like fleas that might be contributing to the symptoms and your best bet is going to be allowing your vet to examine her when she's having a flare and perform some diagnostics on her skin.

I’ll be standing by if you have other questions. Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Checking in, JACustomer. Can I help you further. I did not hear back from you last night.