Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has separation anxiety and idk what to do I had to

Customer Question
have a friend take care...
My dog has separation anxiety and idk what to do I had to have a friend take care of her temp. and she is freaking out and idk what to do
JA: Is the dog in any pain? Is it behaving differently?
Customer: No, she's just barking like crazy because i'm not there
JA: Have there been any changes in the dog's appearance or diet?
Customer: No Just location She is now at my friends house while I look for a place
JA: Is there anything else you think the vet should know?
Customer: No..
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/9/2016
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello, JACustomer. I have been a Veterinary Nurse for over 15 years and would be happy to help you today. I'm reviewing your question right now.

1) How old is she?
2) What has been tried?
3) What symptoms are present aside from barking?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She's about 8 years old
I got her the collar that sprays her when she barks and got her a couple of toys
She's only barking/whining and scratching at the door and that's pretty much itShe is at a friends house and is in the backyard while she is there and she is an indoor dog and it seems like she is only barking because there's people inside and she's outside and because i'm not there.I just don't know what to do

If she's an inside dog and being left outside, her behavior would be common for a dog trying to draw attention to itself to come inside. This is not separation anxiety, but a dog trying to alert people that she's ready to come inside (which is her normal place).

Is she kennel trained? Can she be moved into the house?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She is not kennel trained and I don't believe they are able to bring the dog inside so I don't know what to do.

Have you considered having her kenneled at an indoor facility with a large run for her?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Yea, I have but that cost over $1,500 for 1 month which I do not have.

Can you tell me more about the situation at hand? Were you both displaced?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My brother was taking care of her while I lived with my gma and he moved to a place that doesn't allow dogs so I had to find a temp. home for her while I find a place to rent. Is there any toys, medication or something that can help this situation?

The best solution is going to be moving her into an area that she is familiar with. You cannot change up the 'norm' for a dog and expect them not to have some behavioral changes.

Unfortunately, you cannot just give medication that will calm a dog down to an outside dog. If you wish to use medication for sedative effect, the dog must be monitored closely. Her being placed outside on her own, thus, does not qualify to be given medications such as these.

You can certainly try any toy that she enjoys, but this is not going to draw her attention effectively away from being inside, which is where she believes that she belongs.

Something I would consider doing would be reaching out to rescue organizations in your area and inquiring about help with temporary fostering. Rescues, in an effort to keep dogs in their current home, will often work to find a foster situation until the owner can get on their feet again. This would involve someone keeping her inside OR being available to watch her if sedative medication was needed. I would use Petfinder.com and google to look up resources in your area such as these and reaching out for help. They may be able to put you in touch with resources that you have not considered, too.

Checking in. How is your girl today?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian