DrMelJ
DrMelJ, Veterinarian
Experience:  graduate of the University of MN College of Vet Med
24095035

He may have lost a tooth eating, what is my best option. He

Customer Question

He may have lost a tooth eating, what is my best option. He is eating normally but licking his mouth frequently.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: He may have lost a tooth eating, what is my best option. He is eating normally but licking his mouth frequently.
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: He doesn't appear in pain, however, I noticed a bit of blood coming from his mouth and I am afraid he may have lost a tooth
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: He was eating, he made a bizarre posture like he was in pain, when I looked, it seems like he is missing a tooth in the front of his mouth, he has been licking that area quite a bit, but he still is eating.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  DrMelJ replied 11 months ago.

Hi there. Thanks for the question. Let me see if I can help. Im sorry to hear of your dog's misfortune. If you are able to look at/feel the area of the gums where the bleeding is coming from, can you feel or see a part of the tooth still left in there? This would be the main concern. If part of a root is left in the gums still, it could be a source of infection or pain for your dog. Swallowing the tooth is not a problem. It will just pass thru him. And the bleeding should subside in a few hours. If you think part of the tooth might still be embedded in his gums, then you need to get him to a vet to have that removed as well.

I hope this helps. Best of luck.