Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Litter of English hounds. have a puppy that starts shaking

Customer Question
Litter of English hounds....
Litter of English hounds. have a puppy that starts shaking then looses motor skills. THEN all of a sudden she is fine. Then bam it starts again. The vet here is out on a farm call won't be back til late.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about won't?
Customer: Poop is fine, no vomiting,
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/8/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian

Hi this is Dr. Hill. How old are the puppies?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Cborn 9/ 28
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Coming 6 weeks. No symptoms til this morning.

So in this age dog, the most common causes of intermittent tremors are infectious (toxoplasmosis, neospora, coccidiosis, other), low blood glucose, seizure disorder or a neuromuscular disorder. Has the puppy been eating well?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
she hasn't lost appetite. EVEN this morning while shaking she was eating. Feeding diamond puppy food.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Right now she is running an playing like a normal puppy. was fine this morning when took them and mom for walk
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Then all of sudden she looses control
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
While having episode seems to still have eye control and touching soothes her

Okay. So unlikely to be a low blood sugar. I recommend that you video tape the episodes when they happen, so that you can show your veterinarian when they are available. You will need to take her in to your vet for a physical, a fecal exam at a minimum. The video is important because since it is episodic your vet will need to see exactly what she has been doing.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks, ***** ***** video to him already. THANK you

Good. Sometimes Neospora can be seen on a fecal, but they may need to send out bloodwork. It is treatable, but needs to be before they become severely affected. Please continue to ask any follow up questions. You can continue posting on this thread for a couple of days, even after rating my response. Take care.

Your welcome.

Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian