Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog for into clumping litter about an hour ago and ate a

Customer Question
lot of it JA: I'm sorry...
My dog for into clumping litter about an hour ago and ate a lot of it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Teddy golden retriever a year and a half
JA: How old is Teddy?
Customer: A year and a half
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Teddy?
Customer: No very healthy and active dog
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/8/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Kara, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thank you he acts okay I am just nervous

I am really sorry to hear that your fellow Teddy ate clumping cat litter and cat feces.
The quantity that he ate is the most important part. Though clumping litter is more likely to create a sand effect on the gastrointestinal system it can lead to an impaction and irritation, and the quantity that he ate can determine whether an impaction occurs.
If he ate a large quantity of litter within the last 2 to 3 hours it is worth trying to get him to vomit at least some of it back up.
You can give him 1 tablespoon of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 10 pounds of body weight soaked up with bread chunks or a small amount of dog food or ice cream (no more than 4 tablespoons even if he weighs more than 40 pounds).
Then take him outside and run him around to get the peroxide bubbling so he vomits.
If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose once.
If he vomits any of the litter that will help.
Once it has been longer than 3 to 4 hours it may be too late, and the litter is likely out of his stomach.

If you cannot get him to vomit I recommend feeding with a vaseline sandwich. Take a slice of whole wheat bread, slather with vaseline (or any generic petroleum jelly) as you would peanut butter on a slice of bread, cover with a second slice. Feed it to him bite sized piece by piece or he will make a huge vaseline mess. This adds fiber and hopefully makes the litter slide rather than compact.

Whether you get him to vomit or not feed a homemade diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat, and 2/3 white rice. Add 3 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, not pie filling just pumpkin, to each meal for fiber to help push the litter through and cushion the irritant effects of sand on the gastrointestinal tract lining.

Signs that things aren't going well, and he needs an immediate veterinary visit, are vomiting, a tense painful belly, lack of an appetite, a fever (more than 103.5F rectally) and lethargy.
If it doubt at all that things aren't going well it is always best to have him checked.
If things go well and you believe the litter has been pushed though, and he continues to feel well then start mixing in his regular food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take a week to get him converted back to his regular food.
Let me know if you have any questions.

I am sorry I cannot help with a phone call. The states/province I am licensed in do not allow me to communicate via phone calls, unless I have previously physically examined a pet. I could lose my license for doing so. If you would like you can ask any follow-up questions here & I will be happy to respond.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's okay I gave him the peroxide. He acts normal do you think the litter may not have affected him

It may not affect him, or it may cause effects later if it gets compacted as it tries to move through his gastrointestinal tract. Many times they feel nauseous just because they feel full, but sometimes they only start to feel bad later when their intestinal tract is trying to push what is basically sand through. That can be tough on them. So if we can get most of it out that is best.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I gave him two doses and he still hasn't thrown up. Should I do the vasoline thing now
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He is drinking a lot of water

I'm sorry I missed your reply last night. For some reason it didn't show up until this morning on my screen.

I suspect he was drinking lots of water because he felt nauseous, and hopefully that led to vomiting last night.

If he didn't vomit last night then use the bland diet with pumpkin fiber added and watch him closely for signs of an obstruction/impaction (loss of appetite, tense painful abdomen, vomiting) and have him seen immediately if those occur.

If you could give me an update today and let me know how he is today that would be great.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian