Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has this pimple like bump on his side, It looks like

Customer Question
My dog has this pimple...
My dog has this pimple like bump on his side
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?
Customer: It looks like a big pimple on his side up under his hair
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Kyose 7
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Kyose?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/8/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today! Please give me a few moments to type my response and I will be right back!

Can you provide a photo with the paperclip on your screen? What type of dog is Kyose?

I am online another 45 minutes tonight if you are able to upload a photo for review

Yes thank you, ***** ***** me a moment to respond. What type of dog is he?

When evaluating this lump, I would advise a veterinary exam and aspiration. This is not a pimple but a mass. In order to determine if it is a benign (noncancerous) versus malignant (cancerous) lump your veterinarian will need to evaluate and aspirate (poke with a needle) to evaluate the material under the microscope

This is really the only way to differentiate the concerning from the non concerning lumps definitively because a cancerous versus a noncancerous lump can appear identical on presentation but I do not like the way this lump looks and would want to rule out a mast cell tumor which is cancerous but with surgical removal is curative.

Evaluation under the microscope will be looking at the lump at a cellular level. Do the cells look normal, is it sebaceous or oil material that is benign or even fatty material indicating a lipoma or are the cells abnormal in appearance? This information is critical in order to diagnose the lump origin and whether it should be removed sooner versus later

Some tell tale signs that a lump might be more of a concern include whether it is rapidly growing, it is bothersome (scratching, licking), it is not easily picked up from the underlying tissue indicating it is attached to the muscle layer. This can be helpful but not 100 % definitive as a fine needle aspiration would be

I always advise continue photographing the lump with a ruler or coin next to it to measure the size weekly but based on the photo you provided this is not a pimple but a mass that should be evaluated under the microscope

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions I can assist with today. If your dog has Boxer, Pitbull, or Boston Terrier in him then a mast cell tumor is higher probability but other breeds do get these as well.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian