Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 2 year old Golden Retriever named Wayne. He has he

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 2 year old Golden Retriever named Bruce Wayne. He has he these two "sores" on his toes for about a month. I tried Entederm per my vet for about two weeks. They looked a little better but not much. We're now taking cephalexin. My vet doesn't seem too concerned with these sores, but I'm worried for some reason. They don't even really look alike. The one that's more raised and smooth isn't fluid filled. It doesn't even feel hard like a bump. It's kind of flat when you touch it. The other looks scaly and has a red center. The red center has faded, and it's never bled once. Neither have. Just looking for a second opinion.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I keep trying to send pictures.
Expert:  DrBridget replied 11 months ago.

I will be happy to answer any questions about Bruce Wayne, I love his name! Has your treating vet performed any diagnostic testing?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No ma'am. He had a sore on his toe a couple of months ago that got biopsied and all it showed was infection. Did you get the pictures I just attached?

Yes I did just take a look at the images, thank you for sending them. Was the bump that was biopsied in a similar location? Did it look at all like these new bumps? Do you live in an area where there are any stickers or foxtails that Bruce Wayne may walk through? Does he lick at these sores?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The other bump was actually between his toes on the dorsal surface of his paw or the top of his paw. These are underneath. I love in South Louisiana. Initially the vet did say it looked like he scratched his paw. That was when there was only once sore. My vet thinks the cephalexin is going to take care of this but I'm very worried. I've looked at cancer online and am very worried. They're not ulcerating. He isn't in pain. Isnt limping. And I do not see him licking.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The one that was biopsied was ulcerated.

It sounds a little like that these infections could be started by material on the ground (stickers, grass) penetrating the skin and causing an infection. It is common for dogs to step on stickers and sometimes a piece of the sticker will get stuck, the bodies response is to try to push it out, often resulting in an ulcerated wound on the dorsal surface of the webbing between the toes. There are other potential causes for bumps like this e.g. pododermatitis that may be related to environmental or food allergy.

Having said that it is not possible for any veterinary to confirm the cause of a bump/swelling without diagnostic testing. Also golden retrievers are a breed that can develop tumors with increased incidence compared to other breeds. There are various types of ways to test bumps such as these...a biopsy usually involves surgically removing a small piece of tissue and submitting it for histopathology. This is the best type of test but is more invasive. Another option is to perform a needle aspirate (sometimes called a needly biopsy), this technique involves using a needle to draw out some cells and submitting it for cytology - examination of cells. This test is often less invasive and usually more affordable.

I suggest that you discuss these testing options with you vet and make a plan as to when to start with one of the tests, for example your vet might suggest a timeframe to monitor for response to antibiotics, then if there is not a favorable response then plan to do one of the tests. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Kind regards, ***** *****

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
These two bumps are on the sides of his paw pads on the bottom of his paw. Do you think they're tumors? They're both flat. They just look different. One is smooth. One is scaly.