Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

I just got a new puppy a few days ago. Hes about 9 wks old.

Customer Question

Hi there! I just got a new puppy a few days ago. Hes about 9 wks old. In an attempt to get him housebroken as quickly as possible I have been taking him out side once every 45-1hr. Sometimes he goes sometimes he doesnt but he seems to be going in the house very frequently. About once every 10-15mins in very small amounts. Is this normal? How can i help break this habit?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Snik Snickers*
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Snickers*?
Customer: I dont think so
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I am Dr Ola B and I would be happy to help you with your question about Snickers today:)

First of all, your method of frequent trips outside is really perfect. Puppies have very small bladders and even if only a very small amount of urine is present in the bladder, they often feel the urgency to eliminate (wherever they are). For some reason, male dogs (especially small breeds) often take a bit longer to house train. At nine weeks of age, it is normal for him to have still have frequent accidents in the house. You do want to make sure that the areas that he is gone previously is cleaned thoroughly with an enzymatic cleaner to discourage him from repeating the urination in the same areas. You can find an enzymatic urine cleaner at most pet stores; it simply breaks down the ammonia in the urine in these areas which is virtually imperceptible to our noses but not to our furry friends!

The only concern I would have is if urination is associated with any blood or mucus in the urine, any straining to urinate or any lethargy/decreased appetite. These symptoms are often associated with a urinary tract infection. If any of these symptoms are seen, you will need to make an appointment for him with your regular veterinarian.

My current advice is to be persistent with your frequent trips outside until he catches on! I would also take treats outside; when he goes outside, give him a treat and A LOT of praise so he really starts to associate going outside with a reward. Until he is fully house trained, he should not receive a treat while inside! You can also tie a small bell around the front door and when you go out ring the bell; over time he will associate the sound of the bell when going out and ideally will ring the bell when he wants to go out;)

The key here is persistence and don't worry, he will get it!

hope this advice was helpful to you. Please let me know if you need clarification on anything or have other questions about this. Also, please do not forget to rate my answer which I hope you found to be "excellent." You may do this by clicking "rate our conversation" below (Your rating is the only means of compensation I receive for answering your question). Again, let me know if I can help you further:)

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Ola Barrett