Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

He ate a sharp plant and after he threw it up there was some

Customer Question

He ate a sharp reed plant and after he threw it up there was some blood in the throw up. He hasn't thrown up again but keeps coughing occasionally.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Beckham 14
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Beckham?
Customer: No. He is just old.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern about Beckham.

Most likely, the plant that he ingested caused some irritation or mild damage when he ingested it or chewed on it which caused both the blood in the vomit and now the coughing that's he's doing. It's not uncommon for irritation to be done to the back of the throat when things with sharp edges such as sticks or grass or plants are ingested.

In most cases, the damage/irritation is fairly transient and improvement will be seen in a relatively short period of time...usually just a few days.

To help towards that end, feeding a canned food diet or kibble soaked in water for 15-20 minutes will be helpful so that further damage isn't done.

Since he's not continuing to vomit, then no additional treatment should be needed.

I hope this helps to reassure you about him. Deb