Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog had puppys 6days ago and it's her first litter. She

Customer Question
had 3 puppys and I've...
My dog had puppys 6days ago and it's her first litter. She had 3 puppys and I've noticed that one of them has really dark blue lips today. Its the first day that they have been that way. Why? Also why is it that I find her sitting on all of them a lot? Why?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/6/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi Adam,

Thanks for your question. Is it just one puppy that has the dark blue lips? Does he or she seem to be breathing ok? How are the other puppies? Are they all suckling ok?

I will wait to hear from you.

Dr E

Are you still there Adam?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it's just the one and I think he is breathing. Ok. Not really is it possible that the mother dosent have a lot of milk
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello

Hi Adam - yes, it is possible she doesn't have a lot of milk. Are the puppies doing fine otherwise? Or are they crying a lot?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not a hole lot
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I could try and send a picture

Yes, that'd be great if you could

The dark blue lips definitely sound worrying as in this pup may not be getting enough oxygen. Depending on the breed, it could also be pigment forming however.

In the meantime if you can, please check the pups mucus membranes and refill time as follows:

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Hi again - don't panic, she isn't doing it on purpose, she is a first time mom and obviously a bit clumsy. Please check this pups gums and refill time as above. It could just be pigment of the lips. Does the color of the lips change with time, or are they always this color? Is this pups breathing any different from the others?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Should I move the puppy from her

What breed is Mom and what breed was the dad?

The pup will need to suckle. See if you can get mom to lie down and relax, then put the pup on a nipple and keep an eye on them both from there.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I've been doing that. Its not working
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He's twitching and barely moving around and breathing

Ok - that is reason enough to get him seen by your local vet or ER vet straight away. This in combination with is change in pigment of his lips is reason enough to play it safe and have him checked over.

If Mom keeps lying on him and he can't suckle, then the vet team may have to give you some milk formula to feed him carefully yourself. If you can get him seen now, please do. While is possible this is just pigment he is developing, if he has a primary respiratory issue, his condition could very quickly deteriorate as he is so young.
All the best with this little one and let me know how you get on.

Dr E

Let me know how you get on if you get a chance Adam.

Dr E

Hi Adam - how did you get on with this little one at the vet?

Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian