Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I think my dog tried to eat a tree frog. Drooling and

Customer Question

I think my dog tried to eat a green tree frog.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?
Customer: Drooling and vomiting
JA: Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No. Other than the frog, which I found mauled, but in tact
JA: OK. The veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Ginger. She's one year old
JA: Is there anything else the veterinarian should be aware of about Ginger?
Customer: She's a chug, about 10lbs
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Now Ginger's signs are consistent with a green tree frog exposure as reported. Thankfully though these usually only cause gut upset (vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, appetite loss) for our dogs. Therefore, we can start supportive care to try to counter this for her.

To start, since the toxins from these frogs can irritate the mouth, do rinse hers with cool water to remove any residue. Afterwards, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can try an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with your vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find the nausea just too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need the local vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

After that has had time to absorb, we can start small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). When you offer these meals, give her 30 minutes after to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Overall, her signs are consistent with green tree frog exposure. So, we'd want to start the above now to soothe her signs. Of course,

if she cannot keep that or water down at any point or doesn’t respond to the above within a few hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration and treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- fluids to counter this and get her settled.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.