Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

We took him into the vet twice now and he was treated for

Customer Question

we took him into the vet twice now and he was treated for crystals in his urine, he is on a pain med, and antiinflammatory so he can urinate until the crystals desolve. there was no bacteria in his urine but they put him on an antibiotic as a preventavie because he has been catherized twice to empty is bladder. He has not pooped since Thursday. His last bowel movement he passed a female panty liner that he got out of the trash I think. should the vet look at his intestines too? They did an ultra sound and saw no stones
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** is a four year old german pincscher
JA: Is there anything else important you think the veterinarian should know about herman?
Customer: He was treated two years ago for attempted poisoning by hydrocodone. The same thing happened and thats how we found out about the poisoning. They said he may have reoccuring issues due to nuerlological damage form the poisoning.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Is he straining to pass stool just now?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
He has not had a bowel movement. yesterday when they pressed on his bladder he yelped. The vet didnt say anything about his gums
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My husband is walking him now. His gums look normal.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you,

In this case, we do need to tread with care. We'd hope that Herman hasn't eaten anything else that could cause a blockage, but it is a concern. So, if he is very sore when you press now, we'd need to think about having him seen now for an xray (better for GI blockage concerns then a scan) +/- treatment if a blockage is present.

Otherwise, there are some steps we can take to try and help him pass this stool. To start, we do sometimes find cow’s milk beneficial for increasing gut movement and getting stool passed. Alternatively, OTC cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) can also help as it works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum. . Or we could also administer a few millilitres of Miralax, lactulose or food grade mineral oil orally. If he is eating, these can be mixed into his food. If you have to administer via syringe, do take care to avoid aspiration (since that would cause problems we'd best avoid).

Furthermore, if he is eating you can mix in some fiber (ie canned pumpkin or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil) as this can restore fecal regularity (just as in people). This can be offered in canned food for ease of eating, while making sure we are getting water in (as canned food is 35% water). Also encourage him to drink as constipation can be complicated by dehydration. Make sure he has fresh water and you can even offer low sodium chicken broth to tempt him.

Overall, we do need to tread with care here with Herman. If he isn't sore with his gut just now, we can use the above to try to get him passing feces. Though if you aren’t seeing stool in the next 12-24 hours or he worsens at all, then we’d want the local vet involved. Severe impactions of feces sometimes won’t respond to our gentle colon cleaning treatments, and those cases can require more aggressive treatment (ie enemas under sedation).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Please rate me afterwards by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no tenderness noted now. he has peed a few times on the walk. still walking him to facilitate a bowel movement. will try a stool softener approach you mentioned above and schedule appointent with vet asap in themorning, assuming I dont have to take hime back in to the er to have his bladder emptied again
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.

Good!

I am glad to hear that he isn't tender and therefore we can use the above to try to get him passing stool for us. Otherwise, that sounds like a good plan.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 11 months ago.
Hi Abigail,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. B.