Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 6 week puppy yesterday looked to have been chocking after

Customer Question
eating ... got food out...
My 6 week puppy yesterday looked to have been chocking after eating ... got food out with foam.. he walked around growling and we put back in his crate. Today he won't eat, get up, has a cracking noise when he swollows, moans when touched. Legs stiff out ward and curl back. Breathing seems normal. Tummy in not bloated.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
11/6/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Lisa, Certified Vet Tech replied 1 year ago
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech

Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Great! Thank you

What kind of dog is Levi?

Does he make any noise in his chest when he's breathing?

Has he had any vaccines yet?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
GSD 6 weeks
No
He has his first shot a 6 way

When did he have that shot?

Is he doing any coughing at all?
Is he willing to eat or drink?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
4 days ago
No coughing
Won't eat or drink
He just yawned when I opened mouth and looked at me
That's the most action we have seen
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I tried to stand him he has front legs down back legs curled and eyes closed

Okay great. Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.

At this point, since he's so young and because with these puppies we have to be especially careful so that they don't end up with dehydration getting worse and causing organ issues, I would strongly suggest having him seen by an emergency vet today.

At the emergency vet, they'll do a little blood work to make sure everything is okay, and may want to get him on some IV fluids to correct any fluid losses and/or chemical imbalances from not wanting to eat.

If you're not sure where one is, you can go to: http://www.vetlocator.com and plug in your zip code. They'll point you in the direction of the one nearest to you.

If you wanted to try a little something at home, you could rub a little Karo syrup or honey on his gums and see if that perks him up a little bit, but that would likely be a temporary fix so if this were me and my puppy, I'd have him seen sooner, rather than later, just to be safe.

I hope this helps.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you kidding?

With all due respect, you have a 6 week old puppy who is lethargic, anorexic and not acting as a normal pup would. He got his vaccines too early from the breeder and had an episode of 'choking' yesterday. I am concerned about his health, so, no...I am not kidding.

I understand this is frustrating and probably upsetting, but it's in his best interest to have him seen.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can see what it is he dislocated his jaw

If his jaw is dislocated, then he definitely needs to see a vet.

Hi Norah,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Levi. How is everything going?

CVT_in_MN
Lisa
Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech